I love pancakes. My wife loves pancakes. My kids love pancakes.
Pancakes are a problem.
The problem with pancakes is that they just don’t fill me up very quickly. They become a vehicle for whatever variety of syrup we’ve got around that day. I know it doesn’t sound like much of a problem but because I love them, I’m weak-willed, I drown them in syrup, and they don’t fill me up very quickly, I end up eating way more than I need to.
Dee’s Cereal Whole Grain Pancakes!
Super yummy, full of all the goodness found in Dee’s Cereal, and they will actually fill you up and keep you going. They’re not much more time consuming to make than regular pancakes either. Alright, they’re harder than pouring water on a mix of Krusteaz but I’m talking about making pancakes the awesome way; from scratch.
DEE’S CEREAL WHOLE GRAIN PANCAKES
- ½ Cup whole wheat flour
- ½ Cup Dee’s Cereal
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or Sucanat)
- ¼ tsp. salt (or sea salt)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 Cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter (or coconut butter)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine flour, cereal, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine egg and brown sugar. Beat with fork until sugar is mostly dissolved. Add milk and vanilla. Stir.
- Add melted margarine as you stir the liquid mixture. Hint: Melt the margarine in the skillet you intend to use to cook the pancakes.
- Add dry ingredients and stir gently until blended. Let stand 3-5 minutes.
- Ladle onto a preheated non-stick skillet or griddle. Cook until lightly browned on each side, turning only once.
- Top with syrup, fruit spread or fresh fruit of your choice. Applesauce is especially good.
Servings: 3 to 6 pancakes.
Remember, the choices you make determine the life you live